Regeneration of Wisbech and it’s surrounding areas – making it a great place to work, live and visit
Working with Fenland District Council, The Combined Authority and key stakeholders I set up the Wisbech 2020 Vision Group with an aim to regenerate the town and its surrounding area and ensure that Wisbech has a long-term strategy across four main areas:
1. Education and skills;
3. Well-being and cohesion, and;
4. Infrastructure, the built environment and local economy.
A lot has been achieved so far, and many of the actions within the first two versions of the strategy have been delivered. These include:
- Ensured Fenland and East Cambridgeshire were included as one of twelve Education “Opportunity Areas” resulting in an extra £6 million for our local schools, extra funding for a local research school to share best practice and priority bidding for further Department of Education funds
- £8 million improvements are being undertaken at North Cambs Hospital in Wisbech. The first phase was complete in Summer 2018, and is a great facility for physiotherapy and rehabilitation.
- Wisbech Garden Town proposals submitted to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) by Fenland District Council and associated partners in a collaborative bid to secure further government support for the project. The Garden Town project seeks to regenerate the town and reverse high levels of deprivation in the area through growth of housing and the economy - with plans for 10,000-12,000 homes over the next 40 years.